After the
obligatory bubbles and beer at the international lounge, we truly realised we
were on our way. What a month it’s been
... in fact, what a year it’s been.
Safely
ensconced in our seats; me in “A” a window seat and John in “C” an aisle
seat - our strategy worked – a spare “B” seat so three seats to ourselves for
the Melbourne to Singapore leg, an eight hour flight. At 5.15 pm our first meal arrived ... a fruit
platter for me. At 9.30 pm our second meal
arrived and for me ... a fruit platter!
I don’t know why airlines have such difficulty dealing with a mushroom
allergy even after being advised umpteen times.
So after discussing with them their vast meal options for: Babies, Post-Weaning, Child Meal
for Infant, Child Meal, Kosher, Kosher Vegetarian, Muslim, Raw Vegetarian, Vegetarian Indian,
Vegetarian Jain, Vegetarian Oriental, Vegetarian Vegan, Vegetarian Lacto-Ovo,
Bland, Diabetic, Fat Free, Gluten Intolerant, Low Calorie, Low Fat, Low Fibre
Residue, Low Lactose, Low salt, Non-Carbohydrate, Non-Strict Nut free, Ulcer
Diet, Semi-Fluid, Soft Fluid ... truly, check out their website ... and I’m only asking for a meal without mushrooms! I happily
received a business class meal of fillet of beef, mashed pumpkin and asparagus
– with not a mushie in sight!
It was a
l-o-n-g flight – 30 hours door-to-door but thankfully we got a little sleep on
the flights over. There were three in
all, an 8-hour from Melbourne to Singapore, a 12 ½ hour from Singapore to
Frankfurt, then an hour’s flight to Prague.
We arrived in Prague and grabbed a taxi to our hotel. We checked
into our hotel then walked with the throngs of tourists around the Square
... we tried to resist the slabs of pork, sausages, pancakes, pretzels, and
donuts all on offer from tiny stalls with plastic yellow roofs adorned with bunting of the same material. The donuts were made in a long
thin strip, wound around a pole and cooked over an open flame, then rolled in sugar and cinnamon
and served in a ‘tower’ structure. I
watched with great interest as a little boy, who had obviously had sufficient,
decided to put it on the seat of his trike then tentatively try to sit on it
without squashing it. His mother saw my
amusement and stopped him just in time before it became a donut pancake.
We walked the
Old Town Square unsuccessfully looking to find our apartment for tomorrow. More about that later! We wandered along the side streets looking at
the wares on offer – one artist told me she had sold out of "her" work and was selling
some friends’ work only to see shortly afterwards many more of those same works of art - ie mass produced crap. We looked at some crochet work for Miffy – we were told it
was ‘home made’ but I was very dubious. With tummies rumbling, a piece of baked cheese on a slice of
rye bread was lunch; a bratwurst in a baguette was enjoyed by both John and
myself - amazingly it was quite delicious.
There are so
many homeless people here, mainly men who dive through rubbish bins looking for
off-casts of people’s lunches, it is excrutiatingly sad to see. We bought another bratwurst baguette and gave
it to one fellow. I offered him my half-drunk pilsner, and John reckons he
was reaching for it well before it was offered.
We heard tonight that the pension is the equivalent of $13,000 dollars per year and $11,000 of it goes in rent.
We went to
Vodaphone to organise sim cards – and found out that Europe isn’t all of Europe when it comes to telephone corporations – there’s EU (Euro
Unified) that includes Germany and France for example, and then there’s
Hungary and Chechoslovakia ... where different rules apply. Anyway, we bought sim cards to ensure we have backup
if we get lost or separated from each other (I’m sure John feels much better
knowing that!)
We struggled
with tiredness and decided to head for a pub for a beer/wine trying to stretch
out our dinner and bedtime. We managed
to get to a restaurant for a bowl of broth, some (very few) julienne carrot
strips and (very few again) noodles, and flopped into bed at 7 pm.Day one in Prague came to an early end.
Hi
ReplyDeleteBoy you two seem to be having a wonderful time. I agree those things look like turds and I am sure our Grandkids could do better maybe we should send them there art and they could make some money LOL. Glad your holiday is going so well for you both even though you have caught the wrong train but as you said it is all part and experience of the trip. It is great you have met some lovely and interesting people on your holiday. All well here Bryce was 8 yesterday. Take care of each other. Love Lynette and Bill xx
Well not much news since I last wrote on your wall. What do you think about putting the price down on Rosebud I feel the price is too high for what the house is. Anyway have a think about it the weather is starting to pick up a bit so maybe more people will start to go through in the next few weeks. The weather here in Sydney has been lovely high 20's and it is even going to get better later on. I love the hot weather. Bryce had a good birthday only Christopher's Wazza, Nat, Faye, Alison Jaydon and Jason to go before I can get some Christmas shopping done. Hope you are still enjoying you Cruise I worked out today Bill and I have 9 weeks before our cruise and we can't wait. Well better close these few lines as the kids are coming for tea so better get something on the go.
ReplyDeleteTake Care Love Lynette and Bill xx