Then we headed off to the Louvre by the met. We've become very adept at manoeuvring around via the subway here in Paris, it's really quite simple, and when compared with Melbourne's subway - it's far, far superior, hard to believe when you compare the years in which they were built. The Paris subways have layer upon layer - it's a bit like a Sarah Lee cake. On the way, I stopped at a shoe store, I know, quite unbelievable, but true and bought a pair of shoes. Onwards we went towards the Louvre, and when we turned the corner ... WOW!!!
![]() |
| The Louvre Museum |
![]() |
| At the Pyramid - the main entrance |
The Louvre is all it's cracked up to be ... spectacular architecture, brilliant layout, amazing works of art ... it's all I thought it would be and more ...
![]() |
| A corner of the ceiling in the Rez-de-Chaussee |
![]() |
| The Mona Lisa by Leonardo de Vinci |
We departed the Louvre after about five hours (there's always next time) and walked through the Tuileries Garden, the oldest and largest public garden in Paris, which is now part of the Louvre Museum. The Gardens connect to the Musee De L'Orangerie. Here we enjoyed the masters, Renoir, Cezanne, Matisse and Picasso. There were others too ... but these were our favourites.
![]() |
| Monet's Water Lilies |
The brochure from the Museum states that Monet wrote, "Nerves strained by work would relax in its presence, following the restful example of its stagnant waters, and for he who would live in it, this room would offer a refuge for peaceful meditation in the midst of a flowering aquarium."
We were thrilled to see Renoirs works ... they are simply exquisite.
![]() |
| Renoir's "Two Fillies" c1890 (at least that what I think it's called) |
From here we walked along the pavement and watched some locals enjoying a game of petanque. I enquired as to whether it was petanque, boules or bocce, but of course we're in France so it was petanque. A woman was playing against four men and we enjoyed a bit of banter; in the end she lost and I claimed responsibility for "putting her off her game". They all enjoyed that and some koalas were given as 'gifts' which they appreciated. (Lame, I know, but they all seem to love receiving them.)
Then out of the blue, as we were enjoying some time looking at the Seine River a woman approached and said she'd found a ring that we'd dropped. Here we go again! We said, "No, merci". But she persisted and wouldn't go away. So I told her that she was a "bad woman" and told her to go away. She slapped her bum, mocking punishment, and continued provoke us more and more, so in the end I yelled out to everyone that she was a pick-pocket. She and her "mates" exposed their bums to us and made out like they were dogs peeing! They're classy these pick pockets! We continued to warn people but made sure they didn't upset out time there, along that beautiful part of the world.
We had some icecream at a vendor - exquisitely made to look like tulips.
![]() |
| "Tulip" icecreams at Tuileries Gardens |







You look so lovely in all of the photos! XX
ReplyDelete