Sunday, 8 September 2013

Sunday 8 September: Bamberg

Well, I woke at 6 am!  And I was rewarded with two (I think) spectacular piccies of the view from our room:

Sunrise in Bamberg

Sorry - turn your head to the left.
Thankfully I didn't waste any time grabbing the camera as no sooner had I taken these two pics the clouds rolled in and it started raining.

We were bussed into town for our tour of this gorgeous Bavarian town and I think it was probably unanimous that this has been the pick of places we've visited.  A big call.

It is certainly quaint and gorgeous and the guide we had was informative and entertaining; she finished off nearly every stop with an anecdote or saying and had the group totally engaged:

You get a free foot massage every day walking on the cobbled streets; Bamberg lace - she didn't include in her talk but I asked her about it and she said that the GI's bought a piece and took it home to their mothers/wives and it became known as "Bamberg lace" in the USA. In Bamberg however, it was forgotten about, it wasn't a huge industry here. There is a couple now in Bamberg who import the silk and they have created the only lace shop in Bamberg today.

The weather fined up and we enjoyed a beautiful warm sunny morning.


A fresco on a rathaus (town hall)
We had several stops at a "Bio-Technical Station" - WC's. Then she said she'd promised us a rose garden and took us to one:

The garden of the Palace
Bamberg is famous, not for "Bamberg lace" but for "smoked beer"!  And I can tell you, it's foul! This is John before he had taken a sip - hence the smile! 
 
John about to have a sip of Ken's smoked beer.
Back on board the ship for a delicious Sunday roast of beef, roast spuds, pumpkin and Brussels sprouts (for some!)

We've been sailing all afternoon so it's been a nice and relaxing few hours.  It's now after 6 pm and I've been catching up on my journaling, blogging and writing a few postcards - so yippee - I'm all up to date!

Don't forget to log in to the site and leave us some comments.  We hope you're enjoying reading the blogs and we trust you're all well.

1 comment:

  1. Boy the places you are seeing look and sound terrific. Maybe one day when Bill retires we can do a trip like this. What amazing countries you have seen. Meeting interesting people as well. The beer John has in his hand looks horrible I hope he enjoyed it. LOL. All is well back here having some lovely summer weather. How is your house coming along have you heard from Melanie how it is coming along. Take Care Keep enjoying your holiday.
    Love Lynette and Bill xx

    ReplyDelete