After ticking off all the boxes with Avis, we made our way very tentatively to find the train station which is at terminal 3. We were at terminal 1. We managed to locate it and got on a train to "somewhere". The woman at the information booth told us three times the name of the stations and we still didn't understand her pronunciation; she got a bit impatient with us, so we nodded, smiled and said, "Merci".
A bloke bumped me as he pushed in front of me boarding the train, and I made the comment, "No worries mate, you're obviously far more important", or words to that effect. It turns out he's from Brisbane, but lacked manners anyway. I thought this might be the French way - we had noticed that there was a lot of jostling for position going on, prior to getting on the train.
Anyway, several people on board were extremely helpful and tried to assist us with directions and attempting to work out which station we needed in order to get to our hotel. And it turned out we needed to change trains. One bloke actually got off the train and got it sorted and he then had to catch the next train himself!
So ... when we changed trains there was a group of about eight young 13-15 year olds who were jostling and bumping us as we tried to get on the train. After my earlier experience I was irritated and in a very loud voice said, "Stop pushing - just wait - you're being very rude"! This obviously caught the attention of other travellers and a woman came forward and said to John, "Check your wallet". It was gone! It had been pickpocketed by the young urchins. One of the young girls realised they'd been caught and said to John, "Is this your wallet?" as she handed it back to him!
John couldn't believe it. We'd been warned of pick pockets and there were announcements later about them but this really threw us. I checked my handbag and the zip had been undone. Thankfully they didn't get my wallet (with my passport inside) or my I-Pad. How lucky! The zip now has the lock engaged all the time.
Our hotel is lovely and we've got a little balcony with gorgeous views.
![]() |
| View from our balcony, Opera Saint-Lazare |
![]() |
| No privacy - the assessment is all done right out in the open! |


Sounds like you are having such a wonderful time. Lots of tears on the battlefields I bet. I would love to see those areas. I must tell Michael about the pickpocketing. He's always so careless with his cards and money in his back pocket. Hope John enjoying his new glasses. No more Mr Magoo. And you Lorraine - lose more tooth and you will be a Collingwood supporter. We will be in Paris on Oct 2. Staying in Canal St. Martin area. Rue Yves Toudic. Won't see you until mid November. Don't have your party without me. lots of love from Ruth XXXXXX
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are having such a wonderful time. Lots of tears on the battlefields I bet. I would love to see those areas. I must tell Michael about the pickpocketing. He's always so careless with his cards and money in his back pocket. Hope John enjoying his new glasses. No more Mr Magoo. And you Lorraine - lose more tooth and you will be a Collingwood supporter. We will be in Paris on Oct 2. Staying in Canal St. Martin area. Rue Yves Toudic. Won't see you until mid November. Don't have your party without me. lots of love from Ruth XXXXXX
ReplyDelete